11 September 2012

Arthritis, Stitches & Spirits


Where to begin? 

So much has happened over the last 1 month. 

It started in early August with a suspected sprain on one of Daen's ankles. It was swollen. 
A pronounced bulge around his left ankle that is warm to the touch
and skin that's now brownish in colour.
We brought him to Chinese sinsehs. The swell remained. 

We brought him to A&E at a children's hospital. They took an X-ray and said that there was a hairline fracture. They put his foot in a bandage and told us that the swell would go away within a week of resting the foot. 

Rather happy to be staying at home and getting to watch
more TV than ever.
We were referred right away to the Rheumatology department (what the #%@? is Rheumatology) and within an hour Daen's ankles were ultrasound scanned and he was diagnosed with JIA: Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. 

On BOTH his ankles. 

What? My 2 year old boy has ARTHRITIS?

The doctor explained. It is an auto-immune disease whereby his body's immune system mistakenly attacks itself, mostly at the area between the joints, causing the surrounding tissue to become inflamed and therefore swell with water retention. 

The only other shock that equalled this was the day we learnt about Vera's diagnosis. 

Vera has a diagnosis, a life-theatening one. Okay, I can accept that. Now Daen too? 

So now I have 2 medically-challenging kids on my hands. When you're a seasoned traveller on this path you know what that means. More anxiety, more heartache, more waiting for improvement, more hospital visits, more medication to secretly administer, more side effects to deal with....the list goes on. 

After one month of mounting question marks as to why he has been limping has led to this.

Arthritis is categorised as such: 

Mild: In 4 joints or less. 
Serious: In 5 joints or more.
Severe: Whole body. 

The doctor put it this way, "If he's going to have arthritis, this is the best type to have,"

By that time, I was a wreck, and that did little to console me. 

It is now 3 weeks since that dramatic day.

Thomas the train set from his Godma help us to keep
him from moving for 24 hours after the steroid injection.
Daen has had a dose of anti-inflammatory steroids injected into both ankles under sedation. He has to be on anti-inflammatory drugs (Indocin) for the next 6 months at least. The swelling has subsided, but not fully. He doesn't limp now, but is still wobbly.

"My ankle is better, I don't need a bandage anymore" the boy declares happily.

Then 3 days after the injection, bam!

Just as I was slowly recovering my composure after the climax of the injection and subsequent 24-hour bedrest for the boy, he runs, trips, falls and cuts his head on a sharp corner. 

Ian picked the wailing boy up and blood smeared all over his T-shirt.

Blood coming out from the head provokes a different response as compared to blood coming out from say, your leg. 

Head = Brain. Blood = concussion. I went berserk. Stark mad. Even Vera falling off the bed didn't feel so crazy. There wasn't blood oozing out directly from her head. 


Holding an ice compress to Daen’s head, I dashed out the house with him in my arms as if was the ambulance. Ian broke a few driving rules. 

When we reached the A&E, I was determined to cut the queue. I shouted, "This boy’s head is bleeding, please help!"

We got speeded up. 

The gash was pretty deep, needing 2 layers of stitching: 2 beneath, 4 on top. But it wasn't a concussion. His brain is okay. He's going to be okay, I repeated to myself.



The boy fell in and out of sleep, I kept talking to him, comforting him. When my mother ("Grandma is a nurse" the boy knows) arrived, I offloaded him and burst into tears. 

It's been a week since the fall, and the wound is healing well. Daen can point you to the ledge where he cut his head. 


You'd think the story ends here.

Well, here's the straw that broke the camel's back: 

At the exact same period that we went through Daen's injection and fall, Vera started behaving strangely. 

It started with very bad sleep. We had increased her biPAP pressure upon her doctor's recommendation, based on the sleep study findings. We had to progressively increase it from 13 to 16 (Inspiration rate). We upped it to 14. 

A few days of bad sleep progressed to 2 whole nights of no sleep at all. She would stay awake, crying because she was so tired but she just couldn't sleep. Instead, she would stare fixated at the same spot at the ceiling. Her breathing would quicken, her legs would tense up and her hands would jerk frequently.

It happened to be the peak of the Lunar 7th Month, otherwise known as the Hungry Ghosts Festival. Every year, Vera has had  bad sleep during this period in past years, but this time, her behaviour completely freaked us out.

When she refused to even let us carry her, or touch her hands, or look at us, we decided the best immediate course of action was to get her out of the house. We brought her to my grandma's place for the day. My aunt and grandma prayed for her. She finally slept in the car back home. 

We reduced her setting back to baseline. More family members came to pray for her the following day. I started to pray.

I think back now on how the events of the past month have just been beyond me. And it deepens my belief that there is a higher power orchestrating my life, our lives - Vera's and Daen's included. How their different diagnoses will pan out, is way out of my human hands. 

14 comments:

Jamie Lea said...

I have also said a prayer for your family, that Jesus would comfort you and protect you. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Life is full of up and down. Be strong, the kids need you. Hope 7th month over, everything will go back to normal.

Adeline

Anonymous said...

Hi, was looking forward for an update and was not expecting this. Things will turn better now, have faith!
Yukes

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just wanted to say stay strong and to give you a hug.

You don't know me but I've been reading your blog following a link on Sher Maine's blog. Your courage and the love your family has for each other are very admirable. You are a great mother and I just thought to reach out to you today after reading this last post.

Hope everything is improving and things get better everyday.

Hugs!

Bliss

Anonymous said...

Our hearts very ache for your children!
So sorry to hear what happened to your family recently.
Please let us know if anything we can do to help.
Really hope things turning better now.
You and Ian are so good parents. Please take care yourselves too!
Lots of love
Laura & Henrik

Anonymous said...

Please be strong. Your kids need you. I will pray for you and your kids.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just praying the best for you and your family that everything pans out well....everything would be smooth going from now as you have hit rock bottom..the only way is up..

wld be praying for you.

teresa

Anonymous said...

Dear May,
I hope you still remember me. I am saddened by your post. I understand how it feels
to be on this path. Have faith in both your kids & God.

Yvonne (Charmaine Mummy)

quierotango said...

Dear vera, you don't know me, but I'm a friend of Angela's. She talked about you during a very long eight-hour hike in the mountains of Patagonia, and she sent me your blog. My heart goes out to you. I have no children, but I have loved ones, and I cannot even imagine how it must be. I'm praying for you, for your little Vera and Daen and wanted to offer this as encouragement:

"For you created my innermost being; you knit me in my mother's womb.

My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.. your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." psalm 138:13-16 - peck

Anonymous said...

Dear May

Stay strong, for Vera, for Daen and all your loved ones. I am not sure I could be even half as strong as you, so I truly admire all you have done for your family. when things are already so bad, it could only go better. Keep your faith and your head high.

Cheers

Seow Ying

Cathy said...

Oh May, if I miss a few day, things go crazy in your life. So many things have and are happening. I pray that Vera's seizure get under control. I have counted my blessing that these have not touched Annabel. They just look so scary. Then poor Daen, as I am not famililar with this diagnosis it also seems scary. My prayers are with your family and for you also .

Serene Ho said...

Hi May, sorry to hear you have been going through so much at home. I'll be praying for your kids and you too.

Anonymous said...

Dear May,

Your courage, love and faith for precious Vera touched me to tears. While of course there are bad days, from what I can see, you are doing so well and an inspiration. I have lost two babies (in the womb) to Trisomy 13, although I have a third child now who is about 2 years old, I never stopped missed the first two. And your story touches my heart. Please continue to Jiayou in every little thing you and Vera and family do :)

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

So much has happened...I am just glad that I got to read the later entries so I know all is well. :) You've got another trooper-attitude kid in Daen!
Kay